Saturday, April 24, 2010

I've Arrived

Don't think about what to write, just write it.

Mountain biking is fun, but hard. I'm glad that I've tried it. It makes me want to push myself harder.

My feelings about Ruidoso, NM, let me think... When I hear Ruidoso I feel... calm, comfortable, in place. The woods here are thin and the trees are small compared to Shasta. I hear a woodpecker. Fire suppression has created huge fuel loads on the forest floors. Instead of clearcutting, they thin the trees so much you can see to the tops of hills, offering little habitat except for the squirrels. I'm amazed that the spotted owls are here as there is no great canopy cover, although I'm told the MSO's (Mexican spotted owls) can be found even in the pinon-juniper habitats (equivalent to California's chapparel).

The fire fighters remind me of Hayfork's fire crew, which is a good thing and a bad thing. Good because they are fun, easy-going, good ol' boys. Bad because they act as if they haven't been around a female in a coon's age.

Eric, a 22-year old engine worker w/ dreams of being a Hot Shot, has a story for everything. Whenever you make a comment about something, he says, "Well, there's actually a story behind that." He has a North Dakota sounding accent, but is from Las Vegas, NM. He attributes it to brain surgery when he was a child. His feet are really wide, which he says is from hopping fences when he was young without shoes on. The impact spread his feet out. His mother used to be really wealthy, but she gave up all her wordly belongings at the recommendations of some guru, and was thus raised very poor. He has been engaged twice to the same woman. Once after two weeks of dating, then she cheated on him. The second time after two months of dating, then she cheated on him again w/ a minister. He would have taker her back again. He's a love-sick fool as sweet as they come. I asked him how he ever gets to know anyone when he's always talking. He says when he stops talking, he gets nervous.

Elliot, is my SCA counterpart. A 23-year old from Virginia. He's quiet, but smart, tireless, and has a subtle, witty sense of humor which is often surprising me. His girlfriend is studying abroad in Italy. They have been together five years. He really wanted this job, calling Larry, our supervisor, every week until he got it. He's very comfortable to be around, even if we don't talk; it seems we already know each other quite well.

Larry is the wildlife biologist for Lincoln. He met me as soon as I arrived on Sunday. He looks at everyone w/ the kindest eyes; he's got to be one of the most genuine, patient people I have me. He's very respectful. I can't imagine him angry at all. He's been at his job for 17 years and loves it. He says it is his hope to help us find something that we love as much too. I hope so also, that's why I'm here.

I've been practicing my MSO 4-note. It's a bit rusty, but let's be honest- it never really was that good. I can't wait to be reunited w/ my owl friends. I can't stop thinking about that first time my eyes met a spotted owl's eyes. That feeling of vulnerability and new love, I can't wait to feel that again.

I don't have internet in my trailor, so unfortunately I will be writing less then I'd hoped.

2 comments:

  1. you have a fantastic NSO hoot. don't be silly! by the way, keegan and i love las vegas, nm. there's a really good breakfast place in town with homemade tortillas- ask eric about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rayma Cooley!!! I'm so glad you're back with owls! And so glad I get to read about it. Makes me miss you though. Take care.

    ReplyDelete